Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Welcome to the Rockefeller Democrat

WHAT THE FUCK I MEAN WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK WERE YOU THINKING? YOU KNEW HE WAS A FUCKING DOUCHEBAG CONMAN AND YOU VOTED FOR HIM ANYWAY! WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ALL OF YOU HAVE YOU ALL LOST  WHATEVER FUCKING MINDS YOU HAD? OKAY, IF YOU VOTED FOR THIS MOTHERFUCKER ITS ON YOU. YOU AND THE ONES WHO WERE TOO LAZY AND DIDN’T CARE ENOUGH TO EVEN GET OFF THEIR FAT ASSES AND OUT OF THEIR LAZ-Y-BOYS TO VOTE!

    There, that feels better.

    Welcome to my new blog. Probably the last thing the world needs right now is another political blog. But Americans have just elected the most profoundly unqualified and dangerously ignorant man ever to run for President. This is not just disturbing but frightening and as an expat living in France I’ve been trying to figure out what to do, now that the orange fraud named Trump is headed for the White House. This is the best I could come up with and it seemed as good a time as any to get rolling.
   
    Let me start by explaining the title.  Once I considered myself one of a political species that, like all moderate Republicans, are now extinct.  They were called Rockefeller Republicans (for reasons you can read about here) and probably could have found a home in either American party. In my case, my family had been Republicans since at least the 1880’s when one of my great-grandfather’s first official acts as a new American had been to join the party of Abraham Lincoln. More apropos to the present, today’s Democratic Party is, despite the claims of the Fox News crowd, more or less a center-right party closer to the aforementioned Rockefeller Republicans than they would care to admit (or at least it was until election day).  Hence the title of this blog.
   

           
    The biggest reason I switched party was the realization I could no longer in good conscience vote for Republicans at any level. The last one that got my vote for President was in 2000 when I wrote in the pre-pandering to the crazies and Obama deranged John McCain. After W’s first term I came over to the dark side for good and John Kerry was the first Democratic presidential candidate I ever voted for. I’d backed every Republican candidate since 1972 but no more. And if I hadn’t come to that conclusion already I sure as hell would have after this election. A vote for the megalomaniacal real estate swindler cannot be justified under any circumstances. None.

    As of January 21, 2017, the United States of America is going to have the world’s most powerful government of the extreme right, whether most Americans realize it or not and I doubt they do. I’m an American and I believe in the ideals the United States is supposed to represent. My wife and I live in France and had thought there might come a time when we’d want to come back. Now I’m truly fearful there won’t be a recognizable country to come back to. In the meantime, I’m resisting the new administration the only way I know how. I hope you’ll join me.